\
 
 
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Still Point :: Sketch to final
Last week I illustrated an entertaining story for Realms of Fantasy called Still Point, by Graham Edwards. I struggled with how I was going to choose one image to illustrate because the story was absolutely packed with insane visuals. After a few thumbnail sketches, and a nights sleep, I realized there was no way that I couldn't use the landlord even though he was only seen a couple times throughout. Here's a brief description...

"Inside the hooded man’s cloak was a cavernous space filled with wooden scaffolding. His internal organs hung pulsating from a Chinese puzzle of struts connected by dangling strings and straws. Black termites bustled over the scaffolding from heart to lungs to liver, carrying tiny buckets of blood. When they saw me watching them, the termites stopped and crowded to the front of the hooded man’s timber ribcage. Their eyes were huge and red and curious. I stared at the empty space inside the man’s hood. I could feel his gaze like a wind, stiff and cold."

Now I couldn't get so detailed to get the blood toting termites in there, but I think I captured the gist of the guy. The key is also a pivotal piece of information that needed to be shown.

See the approval sketch here. Also, it's amazing how some subtle color variations can completely change the tone of an already disturbing piece. See the color variations here.

posted by Tony Shasteen @ 11:37 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tony

    The painting looks fabulous. Thanks for doing such a great job!

    Best wishes
    Graham

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Tony Shasteen said…

    Thanks Graham, glad you liked it! It was a fun one to illustrate.

    -Tony

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
From the lab ::

Name: Tony Shasteen
Home: Atlanta, Georgia
NEW STORE!
Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
See my blog profile
See my complete bio
See my portfolio

Previous Post ::
Archives ::
Links ::